Monday, September 04, 2006

Side Deck Recored and reGlassed

It was a good day today. With the major cleanup done, all that stood between me and finishing up the glassing of the side deck were a few simple chores. I detarped the boat, scrubbed amine blush off the few spots that I had glassed yesterday with water and a brush. Then got out the sander and with and 80 grit disk and smoothed out the rough spots and gave the entire deck a going over just to make absolutely sure there was no unground surface left.

I had exchanged emails with Tim earlier in the week, confessed my stupidity, and checked on the proper method of doing the scarf joints. Armed with this knowledge, I was ready to tackle the job once and for all. At the last minute, I called my friend Scott who graciously came over to lend a hand. He arrived just as I was finishing the grinding. I vacuumed up the dust, then we wiped the deck down with acetone. Time for the scarf joints.

I wanted to get at least one layer of biax on each of the seams where I had cut out a panel and recored. A few of them got two. Then we laid the 8 oz cloth over the top of each seam, except the aft most cuts where the first layer was still intact and hadn't been ground all the way back down. The biax can be seen under the layer of cloth in the picture to the right - its the cloudy looking stuff on the seams where you can see the Corecell underneath.

We traded off mixing epoxy, wetting out the deck, cutting and laying the biax or tape, the rolling out the glass. In a few short hours, we completed what it took me almost and entire day to botch up earlier. It's amazing how much another set of hands helps. All boatwork should go so well.