Sunday, July 30, 2006

Back to work

It was another sticky hot day yesterday, but there was no rain in the forecast, so I detarped in preparation for some work outdoors at some point. Way too disgusting yesterday, but expecting more of the same humidity and heat today, I got an early start this AM. Turns out today is absolutley beautiful - a perfect day for sailing...

Anyway, I got out the tools, Tyvek suit and respirator, and went out to the boat and I was greeted by this:
bird crap all over the coach roof and hatch. Just curious, I thought I'd check down below because I didn't have the hatch boards in place, and they even hit inside on the companionway steps and sink! And this is only second time I have left the tarp off overnight. Oh well, there will be plently of clean-up before this project is all done.

So I got to work. I hacked and gouged out all the balsa I could along the edges of the opened section of the deck. Then I stuck the 60 grit disk on my sander and went to work grinding the backs of the three panels I had cut out, then did the same to the lower skin of the opened section of deck.
After vacuuming all the dust, I wiped everything down with acetone. Next, I'll cut the pieces of Core Cell to replace the balsa core in this section, and dry fit them into the holes. I'm thinking I'll lay some fiberglass over the extra thin sections of the inner skin and patch a couple of holes before the first layer of Core Cell goes on. In any event, I'm ready to epoxy!