Monday, May 22, 2006

Quote: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

The weather hasn't been cooperating and progress on the boat has been painfully slow. During one of the many rainy days, I grew tired of researching my impending recore job, and dug out Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - a fitting parallel and also one of my favorites. Anyway, here's a quote that translates nicely to sailing - at least for me.

... This is grassland now. We are on the prairie. ...flatness and great emptiness as far as you can see... In my mind, when I look at these fields, I ... feel a thing about these parairies I have given up talking to others about; a thing that exists here because everything else does not and can be noticed because other things are absent. ...It's here, but I have no name for it.
- Robert L. Pirsig