Monday, May 15, 2006

A Brief History

In 2001, I sold our first sailboat, our beloved 1978 ODay 22, Evelyn, named after my wife's late Grandmother. We owned her for four years and had many good times aboard with family and friends.

But if the truth be told, a short time after I got used to the boat, its size and sailing characteristics, I was in the market for 'the big boat'. I was bitten.

Hmmm. I suppose that's not the entire the story. In retrospect, I remember dragging my very pregnant wife to North Yarmouth, Maine to go visit Mr. Tim Lackey and Glissando - then a work in progress, and now a totally restored and truly amazing and pristine one-of-kind Pearson Triton. I had found his website on the internet, and along with, many others, eagerly followed his progress as he meticulously documented his restoration.

Not so coincidentally, that started my infatuation with the early fiberglass sailboats of the 60's, especially the Carl Alberg designs.

We were boatless for four years, but I was continuosly looking. Then, I came across the Pearson Ariel Association Forum and started lurking and ogling the many excellent restorations projects there. Then someone from Maine posted an ad that was in Uncle Henry's, a New England classifieds rag which I regularly checked, but had missed this particular week.


I called the owner, emailed back and forth a couple of times, and finally went up to Belfast with my son Jason to have a look and he gave his 3 year old stamp of approval. That was the Fall of 2004. In the following Spring, I made an offer and had Mr. Lackey survey her. The truth and surveyors can both be brutal. :)

In any event, a deal was struck and I finally took possesion of Spirit Song, imperfections and all in July of 2005...