Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Trip North

Well, the boat hauler, Steve Morse of Morse Overland Marine, arrived on the morning of April 25 and whisked her up to Tim's shop. I prepped the boat as much as I could. I stripped the rub rails and removed the portlights to save time any time I could. Then I loaded up the hardware and some supplies that he could use, like leftover epoxy and the like and stowed them below. Fortunately, we had a decent little weather window for the haul. However, rain is forecast throughout the weekend.

It sure is nice knowing that Sea Glass is sitting comfortably inside Tim's shop with work moving ahead regardless of the weather. Well, I don't know about "comfortable" from her perspective. I suppose having your decks drilled, sawed and ground is like a bad visit to the dentist for a boat. But, at least she's dry and being readied for an early June launch - a much different feeling than a year ago. This year, I can just check Tim's website and see that the deck work is getting done on the boat, getting done right, and getting done fast. Pretty cool.

Heh. I got an email today from my friend Scott. He helped me out many a day last Summer. Anyway, I had emailed him Tim's link for the Sea Glass project. This was his reply:
holy hell! he's done half of our summer's work in 8 hours...

-scott
Enough said.

So, here are a series of pictures of the haul. It was all new to me a few years back when I moved up here and got my first boat. It's a pretty neat process that happens twice a year, unless you store the boat at yard.

The trailer can be raised and lowered hydraulically. It's also got a support running between each set of wheels that can be removed so the keel and blocks on the ground fit between the wheels. After it is backed in position, the pads, also hydraulic, are adjusted so they until they fully support the boat. Then the jack stands are removed. The support is replaced between the trailer wheels and locked in place. Then the trailer is raised and the boat strapped down.





And there she goes! So, Tim has already been updating his site with his daily progress. In the meantime, I have many things to get ordered and much to be done before launch day...

(BTW, I have no idea what happened with the placement of these pictures. I'll try an fix it when I get a chance. Google has done a great job on this Blog thing, but the handling of images can use some help - or I can...)